It's only a practice. . .
Yesterday, I went to Little Man T's school to help in the computer lab. I volunteer every week on Thursday afternoons at 2:00. Yesterday, I had to leave quickly because "lockdown" practice was starting at 2:30 and if I didn't get out before it started, I had to stay for the duration. You should have seen me hustle out. But it makes me incredibly sad that my little guy has to practice a "lockdown" scenario in case anyone shows up in the school with a gun. They've been instructed to turn off the lights, and hide as best as they can where nobody would be able to see them if somebody looked through the window on the door. Then they're instructed to be completely silent until they're told it's okay to talk/make noise. It freaks me out hearing about it; I can't help but wonder what it does to some of the kids in there. Little Man T seems to take it in stride and actually doesn't seem to think twice about it, so I guess that's a good thing. It's just that I remember having to do earthquake and fire drills in elementary school and that doesn't seem nearly as frightening as preparing to hide in case somebody comes into the school with the intent to harm you for no reason. I guess it's kind of good that he doesn't know the difference, but I do and it makes me sad.

1 Comments:
Dang, I've never heard of those drills. How sad!
Post a Comment
<< Home