Tina's Opinions

Friday, June 16, 2006

Me no likey strict budget

So we have to get a new roof. No really, we have to. Every time it rains, we get a little sprinkle (okay, it's a torrential downpour) inside our home and the buckets on the floor make awesome decor.

Let me start by saying that I've never been good with money. Well, maybe my first year in college I was okay, but I've never been a saver and I love to spend. Honestly, I don't care what I'm buying, I just love to spend. I went to buy allergy medicine for my hottie husband today and it sent a chill up my spine (for multiple reasons, but anyhow. . .)

My husband the genius has put me on a super strict budget. And when I say strict, I mean strict. It's not exactly the envelope method, but a close cousin. I have four envelopes in my (overpriced) purse. Each has a dollar amount and a category name on it ("Groceries & Supplies", "Clothes", "Eating Out & Entertainment", and "Other"). Each time I make a purchase (using my debit card), I have to put in the amount I've spent and deduct it from the total. I get new envelopes every two weeks with a replenishment of funds. We've been doing this for three weeks now (it's been torture, sheer torture), and at first it was kind of fun, a challenge, if you will. Now, it sucks. I'm halfway through a pay period and I'm seriously over budget in two catergories: "Groceries & Supplies" and "Eating Out & Entertainment". I will say, however, that the eating out overage is NOT my fault. My husband tipped some lady at Applebee's $9 on a $31 bill (that's 26.5% for all of you wondering). He (the math genius, for real) stated that he was "frazzled" because of our three kids and "couldn't figure it out". I'm not buying it. He was hoping to kill the budget.

We've never had a budget before. We've also never had a huge savings. And we did start our marriage out in a lot of debt (I don't recommend that). So I think it's important. But I think he's being a bit harsh. Hello, $37.50 every two weeks on "Eating Out & Entertainment"? That's just freaking stingy!

I'm trying to decide if I want rain in my house during every rainstorm or dinner out every night. It's a tough decision and I'm not willing to make it right now. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home